Sunday, February 7, 2016

It's Phat Tuesday!

Well, almost! Down in New Orleans and all over the world Carnevale is happening, parades are swinging, masks and beads adorning the beautiful people as they make merry and celebrate life! I am doing my part to help raise a glass and sing some songs and bring the glitter and the fun! In the spirit of Mardi Gras I hope you will join me next Tuesday!
Tuesday, February 9, 2016 from 6-9 pm
Chaz and Odette, 5102 Baulm Blvd, Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Join me and members of the Cultural District, Carlos Peña - guitar, Dwayne Dolphin - bass, and Miguel Sague III - conga, as we light up the most decadent night of the year! No stranger to good jazz, great cuisine and fabulously feathered masks, I am thrilled to add my voice to the superior dining and drinking experience as only one of Pittsburgh's most delightful divas can! Fresh ingredients, a multicultural menu and a homey atmosphere really make Chaz and Odette one of the hottest new restaraunts on the scene. They offer live jazz every Sunday night but have decided to make their first Fat Tuesday as "Phat" as it can be! Don't miss out on this exciting evening of great food, wonderful music and celebration! The word is that Odette shall be bringing in the beads! 
Dinner reservations highly recommended, please visit the website to make the reservation or call (412) 683-8300
More info about the venue: http://chazandodette.com

I personally am now teaching voice to young people twice a week, and I am very excited about it! I am teaching at my friend Liz Berlin's Creative Life Support Program's We Rock Workshop, which works with foster youth from Allegheny County. 
http://afroamericanmusic.org 
I am also teaching every Saturday to young people (ages 9-14) at Afro American Music institute. Enrollment is open for my young people classes is open, so if you have a young person in your life whom you would like to study voice with me, I teach on Saturday afternoons at 2 pm at Afro American Music Institute, 7131 Hamilton Ave, Pittsburgh in the neighborhood of Homewood. More info: http://afroamericanmusic.org 

In between when I am teaching and performing, I am hard at work sifting through the hundreds of hours of footage with young Alistair McQueen, and we are adding to the "Take it to the Bridge with Phat Man Dee" youtube channel as we go:
Image by Danielle Robinson
I am hoping to fund more shoots like we did in Europe, but on a local level in Pittsburgh, on our bridges, with our artists, to celebrate our 200th year as a city in 2016. To that end I have been working on submitting grant applications and sponsorships. 

Friends, we are a people going through many changes, many decisions must be made about who we are, who we have been and who we are going to be. I hope we may be remembered as a people who loved and lived and fought for equity and inclusion. I sing for peace, for justice, for love and for life. I hope I  may sing for you sometime soon.
Safe travels friends, its a scary world sometimes, and yet, I am still honored to be in it with you. 
Laissez les bon temps roulez! 
Mwah! 

1 comment:

High Style said...

I am an event photographer, I love this venue, and I will revisit this venue in a heartbeat. The venues Chicago have really great staff and pretty decent drinks. Their halls and rooms are absolutely gorgeous.