Sunday, December 6, 2009

Phat Man Dee sings at Library today!

In fact, I shall sing songs you can learn if you go to the library! My
set list tonight includes La Vie En Rose, A Tisket A Tasket, Ay Linda
Amiga, Rien de Rien, Dona Nobis Pacem, War Pigs and Imagine. I might
toss in a couple of originals, because I do recall giving the library
my cd once, but if they actually cataloged and made it available for
folks to check out, I don't really know. I tried.....

So I am sorry for the late notice, I have been kind of dazzled by
trying to get back into the Pittsburgh swing of things. I have had
breakfast at O'Learys, noodles at Lulu's and Thai Me Up, wontons at
Cambodican and a singular Black and Gold chocolate bob from the Get
Go. I sang at a benefit for the Brewhouse the same night I flew home,
and then for Zafira and the Indigo at the Rex a couple days later.

Photo by Chiko Sugimoto. Taken at the Rex Nov 29, 2009 with a show I was emceeing. Zafira presents The Indigo. From left to right, me, Christine Andrews, Zoe Jakes, Olivia Kissel, Mardi Love, Maria Hamer, and Rachael Brice.

I should have let you know about these things, but to be fair, I was
mired in gigs for BRAF and also in a movie shoot before I left San
Francisco for the movie FEED and I had little computer access, but I
do try and keep up with shout outs via twitter..... (I feel so Hannah
Montana) http://www.twitter.com/phatmandee

So tonight, it is Sunday December 6 and my friends The Typewriter
Girls have put together a benefit to save the library!



When I was in California, a community there was just building their
first library, and some small towns don't even have one, we have an
amazing legacy here, we need to protect it. It can be so easy to take
something as grand as the Carnegie Libraries for granted and say what
you want of Andrew Carnegie and his deplorable labor practices, the
library is a gift that has lasted over 100 years but it doesn't have
to be forever, it will only live if we continue to feed it, it will
only be around for our children and their children as a repository of
knowledge and ideas if we maintain and let it grow, so I entreat you,
come on out and show your love for the written word and knowledge and
information in general!

Specific info:
TypewriterGirls Save the Libraries!

What: A poetry reading and performance by the Avant-Garde cabaret
troupe The TypewriterGirls to raise awareness and funds for Carnegie
Library of Pittsburgh
Who: The TypewriterGirls Poetry Cabaret w/ Readers: Sandra Beasley,
and Nancy Krygowski; music by Phat Man Dee; stunts by Dave Doyle;
dance by NAKA; performance art by Christiane D.; comedy by Sean
Collier; and musical accompaniment by upright bassist Spat Cannon and
guitarist Chad Hammitt
Where: Carnegie Library Lecture Hall, 4400 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh PA,
15213
When: Sunday, December 6th Doors Open at 5:30 pm / Show
begins at 6:00 pm
Cost: donation based—minimum donation of $7.00 required

On Sunday, December 6th, utilizing the power of poetry, protest, pygmy
goats, awkward conversation, and, yes, even necromancy, The
TypewriterGirls gather up all of the forces at their disposal and
battle furiously to save the Pittsburgh library system--the same
libraries that spawned their very group’s formation through its fine
artistic and educational programming, amazing international poetry
collection, and its generosity in employing Crystal as a security
guard despite her frequent and occasionally dangerous bouts with
delusions of grandeur.

This show will feature many of the area’s greatest activist artists
including poet Nancy Krygowski, performance artist Christiane D., and
famed vocalist and song writer Phat Man Dee. Don’t miss this
artistically stunning opportunity to show your support of and
contribute to our local library system.

True to the TypewriterGirls’ cabaret spirit, the event will include a
library themed typewriter written exquisite corpse at the door, a sure
to be rousing and thoroughly literary round of the improv comedy game
“Poets” in the middle, and lots of inanely intellectual comedic
theatrics to tie it all together, as Crystal and Margaret and guest
comedian Sean Collier take to the streets (and many other indiscreet
locales) to round up the funds to keep our libraries running, with a
special guest appearance by Franco Dok Harris.

Many other acts will take the stage in this epic battle--including but
not limited to Naka Entertainment, a unique hip-hop dance group
comprised of youth from Pittsburgh‘s East End, Dave Doyle, a daring
performer who will amaze us with a round of physical stunts, poet
Sandra Beasley, author of I Was the Jukebox, forthcoming from W. W.
Norton, and poetic musical accompaniment by stand-up bassist Spat
Cannon and guitarist Chad Hammitt. In addition, there will be a silent
auction filled with goods from local artists, musicians, poets,
restaurants, and shops. Come bid on baskets filled with chapbooks,
CDs, handmade jewelry, and other goods! All the proceeds go to the
library’s operating fund!
More Info: www.typewritergirls.net

Hope to see you, if not tonight then down the road, I am working on a
club date, probably at Istanbul Restaraunt for the holidays, more info
as it solidifies. I am still available for some last minute house or
corporate holiday parties before I head west again, so write or call!
Love, butter and follow me on facebook,

This painting was done by my beautiful friend Dr Deb from Palm Springs, CA. She and I met during a run of "How to Survive the Apocalypse, a Burning Opera" in San Francisco, 2009. I dream of singing back up for her in her show "Dr Deb's Southern Bapti-Jew-Bu Gospel Hour and traveling roadshow".

Love, butter and hope to see you out!
Phat Man Dee


PS New modeling agency in NYC, let me know what you think of my
profile:
http://www.theagencyonline.com/profile.php?u=678

PPS Also just posted phone video to you tube of my fabulous last
friday night, saw Jim Donovan, Zafira and Machete in one night....
reminding me again, exactly why I adore this crazy town we call
Pittsburgh!

Jim Donovan Drum the Ecstatic @ Istanbul:

Zafira @ Pandemic:

Machete @ Pandemic:

No comments: